Reunion!

     It's been a really long time since I last wrote to you.  I apologize.  I'm a horrible human being.

    The holidays came and went. as did my time as an acting manager at work.  I found it was very rewarding -- people respected my authority regardless of my age and I proved to myself that it IS possible to be both friend and boss.  I discovered that I truly have a passion for my store and while a large part of it is my team, I found within me a potential I didn't know existed to move up in this company.  I truly enjoyed being a manager and its fast pace, yet it also provided me with time to focus on what mattered most.  I found a speed and a method that worked best for me, and I went with it.  I like to think I thrived and will one day experience it again.
     Being an associate again means less stress, better shift hours and not counting drawers; However, I find I have trouble walking the fine line between teaching and overstepping now that I no longer carry the title.  For now, only time will tell.

     As most of you have probably noticed, it has snowed quite a bit here in Massachusetts.  There are feet upon feet of the stuff and we have absolutely no where to put it all.  The trains have all been shut down, the plows cannot pile the snow any higher and driving is a nightmare.
     That being said, this reaffirms my belief that Boston is the WRONG choice to host the next summer Olympic games.  It's a small city that has no room for athletes, coaches, staff, judges AND tourists -- as well as everyone else who is simply living their lives.  There's no room for them in terms of transportation, room and board, or competition.  The closest and largest stadium is Gillete where the NE Patriots play and that stadium is nearly an hour from the city; I love my city but we do not have the capacity to host.  The way these blizzards have been handled (or mishandled) proves that we are the wrong choice, at least for now.

    Writing on here, though it is a mass of jumbled thoughts and quick updates, is highly therapeutic.  I should do it more and I plan on devoting more time to it.

Happy Snow Night.
-E.

Comments

Popular Posts